Saturday, January 12, 2008

Introduction

I setup this blog primarily to channel & log my thoughts on the subject of Computational Technology which arises from Computational Science & Engineering.I graduated from the rather niche cohort of NUS's CSE centre last July and I'm now working in the Web Industry.

My reasons for not pursuing the CSE trade being:
  1. My MOE bond which means I gotta work in Singapore for the next 3 years
  2. The Computational industry in Singapore is monopolized by government-run A* star corporate labs which narrows prospects down to the accademic PhD population
  3. The private sector doesn't appear to be aware of this technology
  4. My programming skills were easily transferable to the more mature Web Industry
So I'd like to figure out why no start-ups in Singapore (NUS startups being quite common these days) put Computational Tools ( which are free to use btw) to use in Value-added services for the Petrochemical (or any job which uses numercial calculations for that manner) industry in Singapore.
I can back-up the claim these tools are free-use by the fact that:
  • Numerical Methods are part of the academic curriculum (Free to use)
  • Algorithms based on numerical methods are freely-available for academic use
  • Octave (Matlab clone) is Open Source & Free to use!
So I'm on a quest to figure out why this stuff is not used & possibly meet people in the same situation.

No comments: